Introduction to the Lunar Curriculum
The Lunar Curriculum has been designed by The Three Saint’s Academy Trust. It has been designed to incorporate good practice observed from a range of schools and has been informed by research such as the EEF ‘Teaching and Learning Toolkit’. Parents, children and staff have been consulted during the design of the curriculum, so we can ensure that we have designed a curriculum fit for purpose, designed to stretch and challenge and meet the needs of our pupils.
What is the Lunar Curriculum?
The Lunar Curriculum is a pedagogical approach to teaching all subjects that builds upon pupils’ interests to inspire learning and make sure it is memorable over time. This curriculum is underpinned by a set of non-negotiables and teaches both key knowledge and skills progressively. Its focus is on pupils knowing and remembering more, building on prior learning so that they leave school ready for secondary education and beyond into their working life. Learning is active and authentic ensuring investment, not just engagement. Below you will find the aims and principles of the Lunar Curriculum.
Intent: Curriculum Aims
- Develop Life-skills which promote a love of learning
- Grow an Understanding of ourselves, each other and the world
- Nurture curiosity and creativity which feed the imagination and increase knowledge
- Cultivate Aspiration through motivation and self-belief
- Instil Resilience, independence and other personal attributes
Implementation: Curriculum Principles
- In line with Mastery Learning, we will focus on depth before breadth in every subject area so that pupils can attain proficiency and study the curriculum with confidence
- Progress means Knowing and Remembering powerful, transferrable and carefully sequenced knowledge
- Teach pupils Personal Learning and Thinking Skills so that they become successful and motivated learners, confident individuals and responsible citizens
- Cultivate Collaborative Learning so that pupils develop social skills, practise interacting with others and enjoy learning
- Endorse high-quality Learning Opportunities so that pupils are motivated by real purposes and real audiences and beautiful work is created
- Promote Feedback which allows pupils time to engage, reflect and review – including peer and self-evaluation so that they are capable of improving their own learning
- Ensure that Oracy is at the heart of the curriculum so that our pupils are able to express themselves fluently, grammatically and confidently
- Develop Social and Emotional Learning so that our pupils are self-aware, foster positive relationships and achieve personal wellbeing
- Equip pupils with the Cultural Capital that they need to succeed in life by introducing them to the best which has been thought and said
- Provide an Experience-Rich Curriculum so that our pupils can pursue personal interests and talents
- Digital Technology is used effectively and creatively so that pupils are digitally fluent and equipped for life in the 21st Century
- Enable our children to Demonstrate Learning in Different Ways – not always pages in an exercise book but photographs, posters, products, presentations and performances
- Foster a Resilience in our pupils so that they have the strength of character to persevere
- Prepares our pupils for life in modern Britain promoting Equality and Diversity and developing their understanding of the Fundamental British Values
The purpose of the Lunar Curriculum is to equip pupils with the essential knowledge and skills needed to succeed in life. Each subject is planned and sequenced so that new knowledge and skills build on what has been taught before, providing a broad and ambitious curriculum.
In addition to the subject specific skills, the Lunar Curriculum also develops pupils’ personal, learning and thinking skills which they need for success in learning and life. The Lunar Curriculum will focus upon the skills below:
- Independent enquirers
- Creative thinkers
- Reflective learners
- Team workers
- Effective communicators
You can find out more about our curriculum by requesting a copy of our Lunar Policy.